Re: [css3-content] [css21-content] Syntax for adding alternative text for inserted image

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com> wrote:
> (At least on the Web, I go by the rule that a document should be usable with
> (author) styling disabled. But it also seems clear that the specs
> acknowledge the possibility of decorative text strings.)
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-content/#inserting3

But note in WAI-ARIA's "Text Alternative Computation" algorithm:

"Text nodes are often visited because they are children of an element
that uses rule 2C to collect text from its children. However, because
it is possible to specify textual content using the CSS :before and
:after pseudo-elements, it is necessary for user agents to combine
such content with the text referenced by the text nodes to produce a
complete text alternative."

http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/roles#namecalculation

The union of these draft specs means that CSS3 "content" should never
be used for adding:

   1. Purely decorative text, since it would introduce garbage into
text alternatives.
   2. Non-decorative text to (X)HTML that isn't a variant on what user
agents typically add already (e.g. list bullets), since that would
introduce an unwelcome dependence on publisher CSS for understanding
the document.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis