Re: list-style-position and text-align

On 11/23/10 12:16 AM, David Hyatt wrote:
> *inside*
>     The marker box is the first inline box in the principal block box,
>     after which the element's content flows. CSS 2.1 does not specify
>     the precise location of the marker box.
>
> Again, this is just wrong. When you have nested blocks inside the list
> item, the marker box is the first inline box inside some descendant
> block. If it were the first inline box in the list item's principal
> block box, then when you put a div inside an li, you'd end up generating
> an anonymous block box to wrap the marker box, but that's not what happens.

It's what happens in Gecko.  If a list-item with an inside bullet has a
block as its first child, the bullet ends up on a line by itself above
that child block, precisely because it ends up as the first inline box
in the list item's principal block box.

I agree that this doesn't seem to be what Presto and Webkit do.

IE9 in standards mode matches Gecko and the spec here.  IE9 in quirks
mode does what Presto and Webkit do.

-Boris