RE: [css3-backgrounds] Should a non-zero border-radius create a new stacking context ?

How is it more confusing than the one that happens when opacity < 1 ?

> I think what's actually odd here is that overflow != visible doesn't cause
> changes in z-ordering (to group things inside it).  But we've had that
> oddness for a long time.

True.

> (Is it interoperable?)
Not sure what you are referring to. If you mean the testcase I attached, no,
not yet. Only Firefox clips the blue element in this case. Most browsers still
have curve-clipping issues with border-radius.