Re: [css3-mediaqueries] tv and screen media types

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>> perhaps we need a new media-type, 'generic-screen', which is true for TV and projection and any other type of electronic screen (basically, 'not print'?), and consider 'screen' to be really saying 'any kind of screen for which a more specific tag does not exist (such as TV or projection)'?
>
> That won't help Google TV, as the stylesheets that specify
> media=screen will still be required to be ignored by it.  Basically,
> 'screen' has become too polluted to be usable in this way.  As you
> say, it basically just means "not print" now.  (Presumably it would
> also still be okay to treat is as "not speech", "not braille", and
> "not embossed", plus maybe "not tty".)

To be specific, the bug report from the GoogleTV team that inspired
this thread points to espn.com and twitter.com as sites that break if
we advertise the GoogleTV browser as 'tv', as they both use 'screen'
for their stylesheets.  I've confirmed this for both sites.

I believe that these two sites are not an aberration, but merely the
tip of an iceberg, and so don't think that evangelism will fix the
issue.  As I initially claimed, 'screen' has just become too polluted
to actually provide any useful information.

So, can we discuss this at the telcon tomorrow?