Re: [css-selectors] Invalid selectors should not cause the entire group to be dropped

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Peter Beverloo <peter@lvp-media.com> wrote:
> The Selectors (Level 3) module defines[1] that a single invalid selector in
> a group is enough to drop the entire rule. While this was fine before, I
> believe this behavior should be revised: invalid selectors should not
> invalidate the entire selector-group anymore. Instead, they could be changed
> to ":not(*)", similarly to Media Queries[2] which changes invalid queries to
> "not all".

I highly doubt we could ever change this behavior at this point.  I
could be swayed otherwise by evidence, but this seems like the sort of
behavior that would become relied on by sites after so long.

That said, this is yet another bit of pain caused by vendor prefixes
that can be patched over via mixins.  Take what you would normally put
in the selector block, throw it into a mixin instead, and then just
use the mixin in each of the actual selector blocks.