RE: [css3-2d-transforms] Should a transformed element reflow its content ?

It *is* different from the content without a transform, that’s why it’s confusing. The pre-transform content causes no overflow whatsoever. Since scaling of that content is what causes the overflow I can’t expect the scrollbar to affect what the transform scales.

I understand the rendering for overflow:scroll. For overflow:auto, it’s as if you figure out whether the transformed element will cause overflow then reflow it as if scrollbars where there before transforming it. I don’t think that makes sense.

Modulo the scrollbars needed to see the content, I think expect the overflow:auto case to look just like the overflow:visible one.

From: rocallahan@gmail.com [mailto:rocallahan@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:06 AM
To: Simon Fraser
Cc: Sylvain Galineau; Øyvind Stenhaug; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-2d-transforms] Should a transformed element reflow its content ?

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com<mailto:smfr@me.com>> wrote:
I think what confuses Sylvain is that the content is laid out with the scrollbars already present, and then transformed, but how did it know it was going to overflow before applying the transform?

How is that different from content without a transform? There's always been a circular dependency there, where the presence of a scrollbar affects the layout of the scrolled content, but the layout of the scrolled content affects the presence of the scrollbar.

Rob
--
"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." [Acts 17:11]