Re: [css3-transitions] Interpolating between values from different information sources

On Nov 1, 2010, at 10:51 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another possibility is to split linear gradients into two functions,
> one of which takes an angle and the other takes a point.  That would
> solve the issue fairly neatly without complicating the model with extra
> power, but (a) the two types of gradients *should* be interpolable, and
> (b) I don't think this solution is extendable to radial gradients.  I'd
> like radial gradient and linear gradients to be addressed with a similar
> solution if at all possible.

My point with my proposed changes is that the <bg-position> syntax is almost completely superfluous for linear gradients. The one thing it does have is the ability to have a diagonal gradient that conforms to the box size (as they do in other image formats). But that minority use case can be handled much more simply and cleanly with a keyword, rather than with a whole different syntax that requires the color-stops to be remapped to (or possibly overlaid on) a different pair pair of points. The other use case for the <bg-position> syntax, exactly aligning the ends of a gradient with something else, is such a tiny special edge use, with other adequate ways of handling that, and doesn't warrant the extra syntax either.

Radial gradients are a different animal. I would expect the color-stops part to be the same, but not the part for setting the center of the radial.