RE: Questions about 'column-span'

This looks like a simplification on the first glance but I have a couple of problems with it:
1) This will be the first time "nearest block formatting context parent" is used for anything. It will probably affect the definition of containing block, which is already complex.
2) It is not necessarily a simplification. Column layout already has to handle forced column and page breaks which can occur anywhere. The same code can easily handle column-span:

	* break
	* balance columns
	* insert column-span
	* continue after coumn-span as if on next page

It seems pretty straightforward this way... and it seems if we can avoid a new kind of containing block definition, we should.