Re: Selectors, vendor prefixes (again...) and IE9

From: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
> On 5/18/10 10:58 AM, François REMY wrote:
>> True. But do we agree it is not a pseudo-element either ?
>> ::selection seems to be a syntax, there's no need to make
>> it match any reality in term of DOM, is there ?
>
> The concept of "pseudo-element" is a syntactic concept, no?  What each one
> does is defined in a one-off way, and doesn't have to be defined in terms
> of the DOM at all.  There are various extension pseudo-elements supported
> in various browsers that have nothing to do with the DOM (even in the
> limited way that first-letter, first-line, before, after do).

I was under the impression some implementors were
complaining because they would need to create a lot
of "pseudo elements" (in the DOM?) when the user press
CTRL+A. If ::selection is simply a syntactic concept, I don't
understand why they have said that.

Secondly...
David L. Baron, in its discussion about ::selection problems
also spoke about "nesting" ::selection pseudo elements, and
(maybe someone else) went in the following discussion
about a similarity between ::first-line and ::selection, in the
sense both of them are "encapsulating" some text, like a

These two remarks conduced me to think a pseudo element
should have an "existence" in the DOM. But maybe I mis-
understood what those poeple were exactly speaking about.