Re: [CSS21] stack level definitions in 9.9.1

Ah yes, you're right. I think at the time I must not have realized the
implication this has for z-index:auto elements. Obviously it adds such
elements to the list of those that might "get passed up"... but it's
important to note, one of the places this sentence occurs is step 8, so
z-index:auto elements are also among those that do the passing up...