Re: [css-3 colors] Transparent backgrounds

On May 11, 2010, at 9:18 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On May 11, 2010, at 7:21 PM, Alex Meiburg wrote:
>
>> I was wondering how a transparent background should be rendered bu user agents. Suppose the body element (and perhaps the html element too) had a semi-transparent value - should they be cast against a white background, or should the window actually appear transparent as well, allowing the desktop/other windows to show though?
>>
>> If the latter, how should this be rendered on mobile platforms?
>>
>> Personally, I would be expecting a white background, but it would be interesting to have translucent parts of the webpage.
>>

> It would be kind of cool to allow translucency of the viewport (would you see other tabs too?). In Webkit, you can set HTML and BODY tags to transparent, but you still get white. Maybe it is some sort of security restriction, to prevent one page from appearing to be part of another that it is hovering over.

WebKit allows a transparent background in certain situations (Dashcode widgets use this, for example). I think the initial viewport color should be up to the user agent.

The recently-discussed view modes proposal has a mode, "floating", in which the background is transparent:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/view-mode/#view-modes>

Simon