Re: Extending CSSOM Views matchMedium with callback

On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:47:27 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:47:42 +0200, João Eiras <joaoe@opera.com> wrote:
>> Should be
>>    addEventListener("mediaChanged", listener, false);
>> There is already an event model, and it would just require a new event
>> type.
>
> A generic event is not a good idea in my opinion. The more media
> features we add the more often it will be dispatched. Authors may not
> anticipate that. Furthermore, dispatching a bunch of viewport resizing
> events when the author is only interested in orientation change would be
> waste.

There was a misunderstanding on my part.

My proposal, using addEventListener, is only for when media mode changes,
like from screen to print.

The other proposed API calls the listeners when a specific media query
applies (which can include orientation and device width) and therefore not
being quite implementable performantly.

I would really like an event just for media change though, so we could
deprecate onbeforeprint/onafterprint and therefore get a generic event
that works for any media mode.

--

João Eiras
Core Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/