Re: Issue 158 proposed text

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:44 AM, Bruno Fassino <fassino@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If we choose the second option, the first paragraph of that section
>>> would instead look like this:

>> Hmm, I'm not sure to agree with:
>>  "except that the clearing element's top margin is not allowed to
>> collapse with the clearing element's bottom margin"...
>> Based on what I said before I would rather change that with:
>>  "but assuming that the clearing element has a non-zero bottom border"
>> which excludes from the computation of the hypothetical position the
>> clearing element's bottom margin _and_ margins of following siblings.
>> But this is probably different from what you wanted to say.
>
> Nah, that's equivalent.  Saying "assume the element has a non-zero
> bottom border", though, is just an indirect way of saying "don't let
> the element's top and bottom margins collapse together", which is what
> we actually want.
>
> ~TJ

Fine!  So you agree to exclude from the computation of the
hypothetical position the margins of following siblings, don't you?

And of course this exception is just for the hypothetical position
computation. After that, if clearance has been deemed necessary it
determines the position of the clearing element's top border edge, and
then collapsing with "following" margins still occurs (but it cannot
affect the top border edge anymore). True? (The only remaining
exception is the collapsing with the parent block's bottom margin,
explicitly mentioned at 8.3.1).

Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test