Re: [css3-background] vastly different takes on "blur"

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Simon Fraser wrote:
>
> On Jun 14, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have no opinion on the name, but the most intuitive thing for me is
>> for the specified length to be the amount that the blur extends out of
>> the native shadow box.
>
> When an author just wants to extend the shadow, that is what _spread_ is
> for, so it makes sense for spread to be specified that way.

Spread is orthogonal to blur.  Its operation has no bearing on the
operation of blur, except that it's probably good to make them work
similarly.

> But when an
> author provides a measure for blur, it is because he wants a certain amount
> of blurriness.  It does not make sense to me that the number he picks should
> only measure the part of the blur that extends outside the original box, and
> not the whole blur.

It's fine that you think that makes the most sense.  I think the
opposite.  ^_^  To me, the fact that the blur extends inward is
sensical but irrelevant here.  I care about how large the shadow
becomes post-blur, and so to me having the length indicate the
distance the blur extends outward from the shadow is most sensical.

Having the blur length match the spread length thematically is an
added bonus - both lengths act similarly and thus are easier to use.

~TJ