From: Ken Lunde [mailto:lunde@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:24 AM
To: John Hudson
Cc: Ishii Koji; John Daggett; www-style@w3.org; David Lemon
Subject: Re: [css-fonts] Is it possible to select a vertical variant in a font?

John & Ishii-san,

The "@" prefix is an extraordinarily outdated Windows-specific convention for labeling the vertical instances of fonts. Now, the preferred method is to use the metrics in the vertical tables ('vhea', 'vmtx', and 'VORG') and any appropriate vertical GSUB/GPOS features when the application is composing vertical text.

The 'vrt2' GSUB feature is generally a superset of the 'vert' GSUB feature, and at least for our OpenType CJK fonts, includes pre-rotated forms of glyphs that are not full-width, such as those for proportional Latin. The 'vkna' GSUB feature substitutes standard kana glyphs (that are used for both horizontal and vertical writing) for those that are tuned for use in vertical writing. These glyphs were added in Adobe-Japan1-4, so unless the 'CFF' table advertises its ROS as Adobe-Japan1-4 or higher, which means Adobe-Japan1-5 or Adobe-Japan1-6 at the moment, the 'vkna' GSUB feature is likely not included. (The horizontal analog of 'vkna' is 'hkna'.)

About the GPOS features that were mentioned, 'valt' has been deprecated. Actually, it was deprecated before we released our first OpenType CJK fonts. We found that a better solution was to include 'vmtx' table overrides to accomplish the same thing, which results in default behavior. So, this GPOS feature should be ignored. The 'vhal' and 'vpal' GPOS features apply alternate metrics to glyphs that are normally full-width, specifically half-width and proportional, respectively. The 'vkrn' GPOS feature is for vertical kerning, and if the font includes the 'palt' GPOS feature, the palt' feature must also be turned on for the run of text if the 'vkrn' GPOS feature is used. The same relationship applies to the horizontal analogs, meaning 'kern' and 'palt'.

I hope this helps...

-- Ken