Re: [css3-background] vastly different takes on "blur"

On Jun 11, 2010, at 10:56 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> CoreGraphics draws the shadow in the Safari implementation.  We just
> give it the parameters and let it draw.  At best all we can do is
> alter the parameters we pass in.  Can you explain what the problem
> is with Safari's rendering?

Mainly that:

A) it doesn't match firefox (I didn't know which is more correct). And

B) that the width of the resulting blur area is not the width
authored, nor half that width, nor anything easily guessable.

> If it's not something we can hack by changing the parameters, it's
> unlikely we'll be able to fix it.

I'm guessing that if there is some formula for determining how many
pixels get blurred for a guassian radius of 'x', then you do do a
little math on the parameters first to get more author-predictable
results.