Re: [css3-background] vastly different takes on "blur"

On Jun 11, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think the current definition, which describes the blur in
>> terms of a gradient, is good for shapes with concave portions.
>
> I don't know why not. It doesn't say it's a gradient, it just
> defines the size of the region to blur within. I think that saying
> that a 15px blur covers a perimeter that is 15px wide will be a
> whole lot more understandable and predictable and meaningful for
> authors than to ask them to guess how much that will be based on the
> results of plugging that length into a guassian function.

I didn't mean to hit "send" just yet. I also wanted to ask if the UA
couldn't just go some math first to translate that desired "blur
region width" into the guassian input length you need.

And also that I don't know what is meant by the term "hand waving" in
your other post.