Re: [css3-text-layout] margin-before/after/start/end etc. and :ttb pseudo-classes

From: "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2010 11:07 PM
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [css3-text-layout]  margin-before/after/start/end etc. and :ttb
pseudo-classes

>> I am not sure I understand what is the problem and what complexities
>> you are talking about.
>
> OK.  Let me try again.
>
> At present, we have (1) writing-mode specified in stylesheets, (2) the
> ability
> of browsers, and (2) the writing mode chosen by users.  If we introduce
> @dir="ttb", etc., we will have (4) the writing-mode specified in
> documents.
> We have to define conflict resolutions; for example, what happens when
> @dir="ttb",
> the writing-mode property is "rtl", and the user choose "rtl"?  It may be
> certainly
> possible.  But I am not sure if we need (4).

I believe that Mr. Håkon Wium Lie already answered on this here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Jun/0190.html

Consider again this pseudo markup:
<view dir="...">
</view>

These two options, capability of the browser and writing mode
chosen by the user are defined by <view>'s dir="..." value -
so it is browser's responsibility to set it.

Content, <html> and its children, may enforce directionality by providing
their own dir attributes where it is needed.

On CSS side this "directional cascading" is reflected in :ltr, :ttb pseudo
classes
available for each element.
:ltr, :rtl and :ttb values when set are mutually exclusive.
Actually this :ltr/:rtl/:ttb mechanism is the only reliable way to
define direction specific styles in CSS.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com