Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

On Jun 3, 2010, at 9:47 PM, MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:

>> I think I agree with Hakon, the :rtl, :lrt, :ttb proposal seems better
>> suited to language-sensitive design.  With these an author could
>> specify the exact desired styling for tate-chu-yoko numbers without
>> affecting horizontal display.
>
> I do not understand that :ttb proposal.  When the HTML family disallows
> "ttb"as a permissible value of the dir attribute (rightly so), how
> does it work?  Or, does :ttb apply when the user or reading
> system chooses vertical writing?

One of the ideas was based on the fact that the UA would know if it is writing ttb or rtl, no matter how it got there. So if an element was being written vertically, it would follow the rules of the :ttb pseudo-class.

I think it would be easier to write multiple rules if there was something like @writing-mode(ttb){...} that could take multiple rules in it, or maybe even have this sort of thing as a media query.

It seems like it would be bad if the 'writing-mode' property was invalid from rules within that (or from within the pseudo-class if we got that way).