Re: Implementation of Inset Box Shadow on image elements

On 07/27/2010 12:05 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>  wrote:
>
>> On 07/27/2010 11:29 AM, divya manian wrote:
>>>
>>> The reason I posted here was I think it is practical to have inset
>>> box-shadow ON TOP OF the image rather than below the image, despite
>>> what the spec says. I think for image elements inset box-shadow is
>>> not practical otherwise. inset box-shadow would be of great use if
>>> only for this issue.
>>> My view is, the spec should be altered to allow image  to show below
>>> an inset box-shadow when an inset box-shadow is specified on the
>>> image element. There is no use-case for the other case where the
>>> inset box-shadow is behind the image.
>>
>> That's an interesting point. Perhaps it makes more sense for the
>> inset shadow to be on top of the content in *all* cases, not just
>> for replaced elements?
>
> I proposed something similar (not the same, though) in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Apr/0339.html and
> Simon Fraser said it would break existing webpages so I gave up.

You proposed also changing the stacking order of borders.
That's definitely going to break stuff, given that's how
things have always worked. Changing the stacking order of
inset box shadows doesn't seem like it would break much,
though -- it's a very new feature that hasn't even made
it to CR yet.

> It does seem like drawing inset shadows on top is more
> likely to be what authors want.

Unless they're trying to fake background gradients, which
we'll be adding as a proper feature anyway, I think I would
agree. Moreover, I'd place it over the zeroth z-index layer,
just underneath z-index: 1, so authors can pop things out
if they want to.

~fantasai