Re: [css3-values] proposal for handling division and units in calc() [ACTION-205]

On Jul 25, 2010, at 11:48 AM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> My tentative conclusion is that supporting division by values is not
> among the top use cases for calc(), and since it poses considerable
> difficulty for both specification and implementation,

Can you elaborate on why this is difficult? It seems to me that if any value that is in units allowed by the property could be coerced into a percentage, and from there it is a short hop to being a unitless number. I assume that dividing by percentages is still OK anyway, isn't it, since a percentage is just another way to represent a digital number?