Re: A List Apart: Articles: Prefix or Posthack

On Jul 8, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> Note, though, that prefixed properties aren't maintained forever.
>> Firefox, for example, tends to drop their prefixed versions two or
>> three releases after they introduce the unprefixed version.
>
> We used to do that.  Nowadays we drop them earlier (the next release, for example).  If we never shipped the prefixed version in a final release we drop immediately upon implementing the unprefixed one.

Sounds like trouble. It seems to assume that every time I include '-moz-something' I will also include 'something'' in anticipation of it's standardization, and that the syntax hasn't changed for the non-prefixed version since the time I wrote it. It doesn't allow time for me to go back and fix things if the syntax or meaning of values changed shortly before removing the prefix.