Re: [css3-text-layout][svg] writing-mode values across CSS and SVG

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 6:20:30 PM, L. wrote:

LDB> On Tuesday 2010-06-29 14:21 +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>> At a minimum, I propose that the CSS3 definition of writing-mode:
>>       1. Include the inherit keyword

LDB> In css3 modules we've been following the convention, described in
LDB> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-syntax-20030813/#initial , that
LDB> all properties have 'initial' and 'inherit' values, but that they
LDB> should not be explicitly listed in the 'Value:' line.

That's fine if people read those conventions; in SVG we always list those values because otherwise there is a risk that implementors will omit them. So it seems clearer, and not that much longer, to be explicit.

Of course, CSS only defines properties, so the rule applies to everything; while SVG defines a bunch of attributes, some of which are presentation attributes (and thus have 'inherit') while others are not (and don't).

LDB> However, I'm not sure how much this makes sense now that many
LDB> modules reference CSS2.1 instead of css3-syntax.

Good point.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG