Re: [css3-background] border-radius color transitions using gradients recommended but undefined

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2010, at 11:33 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If we don't know what this should look like and would like to experiment
>> further, we can
>> keep css3-background at the WD stage. Or we can remove this
>> recommendation; this will allow
>> border-radius to interoperate in a testable manner and browsers can still
>> experiment with
>> gradient transitions behind the prefixed version of this property until
>> CSS4, if they so desire.
>>
>> If authors *do* want us to recommend incompatibility in this area so that
>> browser vendors can
>> gather their feedback, it's a different matter. I am not getting that
>> message, however.
>
> Are you getting feedback from authors to the contrary? From my own author
> point of view, I wasn't that concerned about it. I figured the UA would
> either create a reasonable blending of colors at the curve, or not blend at
> all. Is this naiive?
>
> In terms of interop issues, I would rate this concern below that of the
> inconsistencies of dotted border styles, where some UAs have true dots (IE,
> in a happy surprise) and others have square dashes instead, and no rendering
> engine is consistent with another in terms of how the dots meet in a corner
> _or_ a curve (at least not the last time I checked).
>
> In other words, at the larger border sizes where one might notice problems
> in how colors blend around a curved corner, one can already see worse
> problems in dot shape and how dots meet or are distributed.

I agree with Brad here, personally.  It really doesn't matter very
much to me *how* the color gradients on corners work, as long as it's,
you know, not ugly.  And I expect that UAs will make it not ugly.  We
can spec more precisely later, when we learn more about what looks
good.  The exact details of the gradient are not at all important for
any page I've ever designed or expect to design in the future.