Re: [css3-selectors] Grouping

On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Nikita Popov <privat@ni-po.com> wrote:
>> I think that the variant with brackets I proposed is little bit better,
>> because it  could  be more widely used, e.g.
>> input([type=submit], [type=number], ...)
>> ("could" because I don't know, whether something like this, would be
>> good...)
>
> There's still no need to extend the syntax there.  You can do that
> with the pseudoclass:
>
> input:any([type=submit],[type=number]) {}
>
> I don't think there's anything you could do with parens in selectors
> that wouldn't be possible with the pseudoclass.  As well, you stay
> within existing syntax, which means we don't have to change the
> grammar and possibly introduce new bugs.

I really like the idea in general, but I'm not sure about it being a pseudo-class. I'm not against that at this point, mind you, but it is not obvious to me if the following two rules are equivalent:

div :any(span,div)
div:any(span,div)

or would that second version be nonsense, and simple selectors as arguments could only be used with a universal selector (or naked, implying a universal selector there).