Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>wrote:

> If we're going to give up the "physical" meaning of pt, and redefine it as
> 4/3px, then I suggest that we should - for the sake of consistency and
> designers' sanity - redefine all the "physical" units in the same way, so
> that 1in remains 72pt, etc. So pc, in, cm, mm, and perhaps a few others (I
> haven't checked the list) will all change in a coherent way.
>
> For those specialized use cases such as "life size" drawings, touch
> interface elements, etc., where a certain physical size really is intended -
> rather than a physical size that made sense on a typical computer monitor or
> a piece of paper, but should be appropriately scaled when viewing from 6
> inches on a phone - I propose that we introduce a new keyword "true". This
> may be prefixed to any of these existing units, and means that the dimension
> IS to be interpreted as a true physical size, not scaled according to
> display size/resolution. (Though it would of course still be subject to
> overall zooming of the entire laid-out page.)
>
> If allowing an extra optional keyword between the number and units is
> syntactically difficult, we could instead define new units "truept",
> "truein", "truecm", etc.

I think that would be syntatically necessary, yes.

This sounds OK to me. I think we wouldn't want "truept" though. Probably
"truemm", "truecm" and "truein" would be enough.

I don't know that this is really necessary, though. I think leaving 'in',
'mm' and 'cm' as physical units would be OK too.

Rob
53:5-6]