Re: Text selector [was Re: breaking overflow]

On 1/4/10 11:52 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> If we *don't* allow it to match across element boundaries, then is
> there a good reason for the restrictions?

You can't disallow it matching across pseudo-element boundaries
(specifically first-line and first-letter), or at least I suspect you
don't really want to.

 From a theoretical purity of specification, there might not be a good
reason other than the above.  However, from a difficulty of
implementation perspective, I suspect allowing arbitrary styling on
::text would be much more difficult to implement (it certainly would be
in Gecko).  Hence my question about what the use cases are and whether
they're important enough to make the feature more complicated and
possibly slower to get implemented.

-Boris