Re: Defining safe areas for media devices and set top boxes

On Dec 6, 2010, at 9:27 AM, João Eiras <> wrote:

> On Monday 06 December 2010 17:21:56 you wrote:
>> Yeah, I think mostly the interlacing and unsafe areas would go together, as they are both common to tube TV technology. There is such a thing as non-interlaced TV tube-based monitors, but I think they are mostly used by pros for specialized purposes (correct me if I'm wrong). So any author willing to write a special style sheet for TVs with unsafe areas is probably also going to write rules in the same style sheet to deal with flickering (by having text not too small, line thicknesses in multiples of 2px, etc.).
> Sorry, that's not acceptable. I'm working in an HD tv and state of the art media devices. If they connect with an RCA cable, the content is cropped, so a simple cable can make a big difference. I did mention that in the very first email. So I'd like to keep this discussion around the media query issue.

What did I say that took it out of being a media query issue? I merely suggested that the same query to find devices with an unsafe zone would also find devices with interlacing. So I was wrong; it also finds people who are using the wrong cable. Right? So you want a new query term that not only supports a dying technology (CRTs), but also inappropriate yet still somewhat workable hardware set-ups. 

Received on Monday, 6 December 2010 20:07:34 UTC