RE: [css3-text] Proposal to add "text-decoration-skip: decoration-boundary"

I agree that this is a styling issue and should be solved in CSS, not in HTML.

This is an interesting issue to me. If I understand this correctly, scripts that use spaces as word delimiters can distinguish the two:
  <u>word word</u>
while scripts that do not use spaces don’t have a way to do so today.

I don’t see this type of underlines very often in Japan, but I remember I saw in school text and in exams.

One thing I’m not clear is, should we add a new value for this purpose, or should we just change the default behavior to add a small space in between non-space-delimited scripts, and let test suites to make sure browsers implement correctly.

That may cause backward compatibility problem, but as long as the source semantically splits the two underlines as in:
I don’t see much problems if the underline splits. Rather, I see splitting reflects author’s intention better.

Another thing I wonder is, is this useful for English as well? For instance, if CSS can distinguish the two visually:
  <u>problematic</u>
I wonder this may be useful, although its usage isn’t high.

Any opinions?

Regards,
Koji