Re: Defining safe areas for media devices and set top boxes

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> Either I'm particularly slow tonight or your message is unclear. Why can't
> you simply set the browser viewport to the "safe area" of the TV screen?

Hmm, are you saying that there is simply no possible way to know whether the
"unsafe area" is visible or not, and you want pages to be able to display
unimportant content there for the benefit of users who can see it?

This seems like a rather narrow use case. Who do you expect to actually use
this feature?

You could set the CSS viewport to the "safe area" but set the background
painting area for the root element to the bounds of the "unsafe area" (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#special-backgrounds). Then pages with
a background color or repeating background image on the root element would
have that background extend into the unsafe area. That would probably be
aesthetically pleasing.

Rob