Re: [css3-images] image-rendering property for contrast-preserving image upscaling

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Gimme a name for the new value and I'll add it to Image Values.
>>

> I think sometimes authors explicitly want nearest-neighbour (e.g. to expose
> the pixel data of an image, perhaps in an editor), so we might want to
> provide 'nearest-neighbor' explicitly.
>
> For what James described as "optimize-contrast", maybe "optimize-contrast"
> is the best name. Or maybe "preserve-contrast".

I agree. I don't understand "optimize-contrast"

Does that mean If I have 5 pixels black,red,blue,green,white and I scale to
10 pixels I'll get

black,black,red,redish-purple,bluish-purple,blue,blueish-green,green,white,white
since by some definitions there is no contrast between red,green,blue so
those would be blended

Why not just say "nearest-neighbor" if that's the effect people are asking
for?