Re: [css-ruby] Proposal to publish new WD

On 12/02/2010 09:26 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
> [...]

No, I mean the changes in the paragraph above that literally includes the
words "traditional Chinese". :)

>>    - all other changes in 4.1 converted to "Issue" comments, if
>>      they are kept
>
> I'm trying to think of an easy way to do that.  Since the change marks
> themselves would indicate that text is not final, would it be sufficient
> to add a line at the top of 4.1 that says:
>
> "Issue: the change marks in this section indicate proposed changes that
> still need further discussion."

I would prefer they be marked as issues. Change marks indicates to me
that you intend to make those changes because nobody yet has objected
to those changes, whereas I disagree with the changes. :)

You can remove the change mark for renaming 'right' to 'bopomofo' as
you have already marked this as an issue.

You can remove the paragraph about non-bopomofo characters' rendering
being undefined by adopting my suggestion to force writing-mode to
vertical. In general it is not good practice to make things undefined
when there is a reasonable way to define them.

With regards to the Note about bopomofo and tone marks, I need an
answer to my question about how bopomofo is intended to be rendered
when used either as
   a) before or after ruby in vertical text
   b) regular (non-ruby) text in vertical text
Does assigning "ruby-position: before" or putting bopomofo as regular
text make the tone marks no longer have their special behavior in
vertical writing modes? If so, then we do need a bopomofo value for
ruby-position, and the details of such positioning can be described
under that section, because such positioning does not apply to anything
else.

But if the special placement of tone marks applies for vertical bopomofo
regardless of its ruby-position value and regardless of whether it is
ruby or base text, then this section is not specific to the bopomofo
value and therefore belongs in a more general section, not here.

~fantasai