Re: [css3-images] Repeating oblique gradients

On Dec 1, 2010, at 10:22 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tiling treats the image as a block to be stamped out in an infinite
> pattern.  Repeating gradients instead modifies the base image itself
> so that it has infinite color-stops in a regular pattern.  It is not a
> repetition of the original image, but rather a modification.

I don't think there is any confusion at all about that. It is just a question of whether it more important to have repeating working the image, or to address the use need in a different way that doesn't require adding to the simple gradient syntax, a way that leverages what authors already know and expect from backgrounds for creating repeating patterns in general.

> It could be that we're just abstracting the ability in different ways.
> I consider the tiling effect as I state above.  You appear to
> consider it as a more general effect that is specialized to the image
> type.  I don't fully understand your position, so I may be misstating.

My position is that even though most images are rectangles that are stamped out parallel to the page edges, generated gradients do not have to be stamped out in the same way. When background properties see that the image is a gradient, they can supress the angle direction from expressing within the image, and instead rotate the entire background layer in such a way that the final result is that the rendered direction of the gradient within the background is the same as it would be in other properties. Supposing that the image is repeating in the gradient direction, then 'background-size' would determine whether the entire background painting area is filled with gradient, or you just see an angled strip of gradient.

With this strategy, we eliminate the ugly versions of horizontal and vertical  rectangles tiles, avoid the need to expand the syntax of gradients, and allow authors to use what they already know for creating repeating patterns.