Re: [css-style-attr] SVG WG comments on CSS Styling Attributes Level 1

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 07:25:14PM +1000, Alex Danilo wrote:
> Modal?
>
> You're kidding right.
>
> Here we go, quirks mode, modal CSS parsers.

[I started writing this message before Boris Zbarsky's recent couple of
 replies, so there's a little overlap, and is possibly even contradicted
 by them, at least insofar as Boris doesn't deny the admittedly vague
 description "quirks mode".]

There seem to be some misunderstandings around.

My understanding of what Boris Zbarsky wrote (in the message to which Alex
Danilo replies) is that there is that, as an implementation detail, there is
some common code between what's used for parsing presentation attributes (<line
stroke-width="1.0e1" ... />) and what's used for stylesheets and style
attributes (<line style="stroke-width: 10" ... />), but that Firefox doesn't
consider <line style="stroke-width: 1.0e1" ... /> to have a valid declaration
(and ignores that style attribute just as it would for style="stroke-width: two
short of a dozen").

So I don't think this has anything to do with quirks modes, in fact my
understanding is that Boris is specifically denying that there's any sort of
quirks mode type thing in parsing stylesheets or style attributes, i.e. my
understanding is that he's saying that a NUMBER token has the same definition
(set of valid character strings) regardless of whether the style attribute or
stylesheet occurs in (or is referenced by) SVG or HTML.

(I see that Chris Lilley and Boris Zbarsky have already been clearing up the
other misunderstanding I was going to try to address.)

pjrm.