Re: [CSS21] [css3-lists] LISTS: Stacking level of marker box (when positioned outside principal box)

On 12/03/2009 12:04 PM, James Hopkins wrote:
> The current specification is explicit in mentioning that a marker box
> becomes a descendant (assuming child) of the principal box, when that
> marker is positioned inside the principal box
> ('list-style-position:inside'), and as such, a stacking level can be
> determined. However, there is no mention of the relationship between
> these elements when the marker box is positioned outside the principal
> box. Has this been omitted for some specific reason?

This has been filed as CSS2.1 Issue 191:
   http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-191

The WG resolved to make this undefined in CSS2.1, and to address in CSS3.
The reason is, there are a number of other constraints on marker boxes
that are more important, and we don't have implementation experience with
all of them. So we want to see what stacking level is the most natural for
implementations, and then spec that. So proposed to add a note to E.3 saying
that "the stacking level of list-item markers is not defined."

~fantasai