Re: Specifying hit testing in CSS

Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> skreiv Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:33:59 +0200

> On Aug 20, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Leif Arne Storset wrote:
>
>> We would like to see this behavior specified and converging on a
>> specific
>> behavior. Whether Gecko/WebKit adopt the more sophisticated behavior or
>> IE
>> and we (Opera) switch to the simpler behavior is not very important to
>> us,
>> although in general, simpler algorithms are preferred, of course.
>
> You should also consider how the following affect hit testing,
> particularly with
> pointer-events: visible.
>
> * opacity: 0

This hits in Gecko, WebKit, Presto and IE9. 'opacity' is unsupported in
IE8.

It would seem logical that 'pointer-events: painted' would not hit a box
with 'opacity: 0'. I am not sure how this works in SVG, though.

> * visibility: hidden

This does not hit in Gecko, WebKit, Presto, and IE.

I suppose you are referring to the 'visible*' values? The interaction with
'visibility', if any, has not been determined, but Dean Jackson suggested
not interacting with it, i.e. discarding the 'visible*' properties. We
don't mind much either way as regards implementation, but as regards
specification, staying close to the SVG pointer-events is probably
desirable.

> * hit outside the border of an element with border-radius

answered by Brad

--
Leif Arne Storset
Core Technology Developer, Opera Software