Re: Issue 118 (Was: [CSS21] Issues with inline formatting model (particularly 10.8))

On Thursday 19 August 2010 22:48:03 Bert Bos wrote:
> On Monday 26 July 2010 23:53:13 Anton Prowse wrote:
> > Bert Bos wrote:
> > > I have an action item to write text for issue 118[1]. Here it is:
[...]

A thought, maybe something for level 3:

This (i.e., the omitted text above) seems to be handled correctly by
Opera and Safari (except that they don't use sTypoAscender but some
other metric from OpenType fonts).

But Firefox does something subtly different. It seems to take the A and
D always from the first available font, even if the glyph comes from a
fallback font. That is somewhat dangerous, because it may cause
overlap, but in practice that is rarely a problem; and it does ensure a
constant distance between baselines where it matters, such as in
side-by-side texts in different languages.

Maybe this should be an option in CSS3? A keyword on the
proposed 'line-box-contain' property or on 'line-height' itself?

> [1] http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-118

Bert