Re: [cssom-view] scrollWidth vs clientWidth

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:03:33 +0200, David Flanagan
<david@davidflanagan.com> wrote:
> I understand that for the root element clientWidth is the viewport width
> rather than the full content width, and I assume from that that
> clientWidth is supposed to exclude overflowing content and scrollWidth
> is supposed to include it.
>
> Is my assumption correct?

There's a few more special cases, see

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/

for the latest version of the draft.

> I suppose that the CSS 2.1 specification must somewhere explain that the
> "content width" of an element is different (in the case of overflow)
> than the width of the "content edge" of the element, but I can't figure
> out where it says that.

It says the content edge is determined by the 'height' / 'width'. 'content
width' is a term defined by CSSOM View as it is not in CSS 2.1. It is
somewhat confusing and ideally a revision to CSS would at some point more
clearly define all the boxes so CSSOM View would only have to reference.

> Perhaps you could add a non-normative green note to the spec to clarify
> the distinction between these two properties.

I think it would be better actually if one day someone contributes a
graphic to visualize the whole thing. If that day never comes I might take
a stab at it myself.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/