Re: [css3-fonts] Behdad's Feedback on CSS Fonts Module Level 3 Editor's Draft 5 April 2010

Thomas Phinney wrote:

> Synthesized stuff (or transformations) are not the same as designed
> condensed or extended fonts. I would ask two things:
>
> - that you do not *encourage* agents to synthesize font-stretch
> ("allow" is okay I guess, though you should understand the results
> will always be crap)
>
> - that for any agent that does do synthetic stretch, it is OFF by
> default and turned on by some additional flag or option.

I agree, I think any stretchy/squishy text effects should be in done via
properties separate from the font selection process, properties clearly
defined with testable behavior.  Selecting a font should be different
from applying an effect.

With CSS Transforms authors can already achieve these effects in some
situations although maybe not in the most flexible way.

John Daggett