Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:45:25PM +1000, Peter Moulder wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:55:57AM +1000, Peter Moulder wrote:
>
> > And I'm actually inclined to think that if we're choosing what the text should
> > specify, then red is actually the behaviour that we want to specify: from what
> > I've considered so far, I think it best if inheritance is based on the true
> > document tree, and that we make the 5.12.1 text restrict itself to describing
> > the formatting within the first line box.
>
> One argument in favour of choosing this approach is the following example:

> (where <float> of course can be read as <span style="float:something">).
>
> I believe that implementations are simpler if we can assign properties to the
> float before line-breaking time.
>
> I'm also concerned about whether the properties assigned to that float might
> affect whether or not it (i.e. the <float> element) is on the first line in the
> first place: [...]

Actually, I think in the example I gave, the float box would end up being pushed
down such that it doesn't shorten the first line box.

However, I still wonder whether there are other cases where special handling
would be required, and even if not, I'm not at all sure that authors actually
want the formatting of the float to depend on line-breaking: I think the intent
is a certain stylistic affect that isn't supposed to affect the appearance of
floats in a way that depends on whether the reference to that float (a
placeholder that isn't even visible on the rendered page) happens to fall
within the first line or not.

pjrm.