Re: [css3-fonts] Behdad's Feedback on CSS Fonts Module Level 3 Editor's Draft 5 April 2010

On 13 Aug 2010, at 07:50, John Daggett wrote:

>> Right, synthesizing it by running a transform on individual glyphs
>> would make sense.  You can't do that with CSS transforms, though.
>
> Er, just watch me! ;)
>
> Try this in Safari, Chrome, Opera, FF4b2+:
> http://people.mozilla.org/~jdaggett/tests/xtransform.html

And suppose you want to apply "expanded" to individual words within a paragraph text? That looks like being considerably trickier.

I think user agents *should* be allowed (encouraged?) to synthesize font-stretch. That would be a far more straightforward approach, from an author's POV.

JK