Re: [css2.1] Issue 158 and Issue 178 Resolution

On Friday 2010-08-06 17:40 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 8:17 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > That said, I'm not sure that we're interpreting the spec correctly.
> > I think we're both presuming that, where bullet point (1) below this
> > text says "the border edge" it means "the hypothetical position of
> > the border edge".  But I'm actually starting to think that
> > assumption is wrong.
>
> All right, I've been considering this.  I don't see anything else that
> it could possibly mean, though.

The alternative I was considering was that it meant exactly what it
said, "the border edge".  In other words, that it was saying that
the hypothetical border edge calculation was used only to determine
whether or not there is clearance, but when calculating the amount
of clearance, the real rules (i.e., the real margin collapse) are
used.

This does have all the same problems I described in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0085.html

> Take this test-case:

It's not clear to me how this test case differentiates between the
two interpretations I described above (real vs. hypothetical top
border edge of the block with clear).  (It might, though; I'm just
not inclined to spend half an hour stepping through various lists of
constraints in the spec.)

-David