Re: [CSS21] 10.6.1, 10.6.3 and 10.6.7 - editorial issues

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 11:39:47PM -0700, fantasai wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 11:44 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:

> >>Changed "(see the preceding sections)" to
> >>"(see e.g. sections 10.6.4 and 10.6.6)"
> >>since it is probably not an exhaustive list.
> >
> >I'm not sure I understand; why do you say that?
>
> Table cells, for example, follow the same rules when calculating
> their preferred widths. And any block formatting context roots
                  ^^^^^^
(I assume you actually meant to write `heights' here.)

> introduced in CSS3 will also follow those rules in certain
> circumstances.

OK.  I think the relevant text in tables.html is just "the minimum height
required by the content", which would be why I didn't find it.

I also wonder whether it's intended that 10.6.7 rules apply to table-caption
and anonymous table wrapper boxes, which I think are the only other block
formatting context roots in CSS2.1.

I see that gecko and webkit get different answers to the question of whether
table-captions include or ignore their floats when determining their height
(at least with the relatively old versions I have handy).

As fantasai's comment would suggest, both gecko and webkit consider the float
as part of "the height required by the content".

Ultimately, the right approach for 10.6.7 may well be to use the "block
formatting context roots" approach rather than the "certain cases" approach;
though that would have to wait until after the element/box cleanup, and when
it's clearer what boxes do establish new block formatting contexts.

(Test case for table-captions appended if you're interested.  I haven't checked
it carefully.)

pjrm.

<head>
<title>Test of height rules for block formatting context roots</title>
</head>
and the opinion on www-style seems to be that it's intended that they follow
section 10.6.3 rules for determining their heights, i.e. that the height ignores
any floats.  However, section 9.4.1 says that table-captions establish new block formatting
contexts, so I wonder whether section 10.6.7 rules would instead apply, where
the height includes any floats that belong to that block formatting context.</p>