Re: [CSS21] The width/height properties list-item, run-in and table-* display types

fantasai wrote:
> On 07/29/2010 02:35 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>
>>> You're right. Then table-caption elements need to be included in the
>>> classification of block-level elements in 9.2.1.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> Table-caption elements are explicitly defined to be block-level elements
> in 17.4,  so this is already unambiguous.

Sure.  The issue is more whether we should always be bearing table
objects in mind when working in earlier chapters, as you remark on:

> We could also add them to 9.2.1;
> however, I don't think this is a good idea because in the future we'll
> have caption-side: left | right again, and the behavior there is not really
> the behavior of a block-level element.

I'm inclined to agree.  In fact, I'm leaning ever more in favour of
deferring to Ch.17 for pretty much all information about tables,
including box generation, flow/formatting, meanings/effects of
properties, almost as if that chapter were a separate spec and earlier
chapters were unaware of tables' existence.  In this scenario, the
chapter would make accurate use of the terminology defined in earlier
chapters, and would reference the behaviour of other element types where
necessary when explaining how things "work".  (We're going to have to
get used to doing this kind of thing in future levels of CSS anyway, for
new formatting structures.  This is beginning to seem a lot less
daunting now that the conceptual underpinnings are getting a really good
spring clean.)

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net