Re: [CSS21] Titles in Chapter 10 - trivial editorial issues

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Sunday 2010-08-01 20:28 +0200, Anton Prowse wrote:
>> 10.6.7 'Auto' heights for block formatting context roots
>>
>> s/context roots/contexts/
>>
>> There's no such thing as a block formatting context root in CSS21.
>> (Flow root is the corresponding CSS3 term.)
>
> Well, just because we don't define a term for the thing we want
> doesn't mean we should use a different term.  A block formatting
> context is not an element or box; if we don't have a term for
> elements that establish new block formatting contexts we should
> probably either write it out or add a defined term.

Sure, and I'd even written an alternative ("'Auto' heights for elements
establishing block formatting contexts") but I deleted it before
sending, because although using "elements" in the title is consistent
with the other titles in the section, I'm hoping we'll move from
elements to boxes as part of a global spring clean, but I couldn't think
  how the alternative title would be reworded satisfactorily if that
happens, so I wimped out of the idea. ;-)  I thought my suggestion was
reasonable for the time being, given the current standards of rigour in
this part of the spec.

But the fact is, as you say, that we probably do need a term for
elements that establish a block formatting context; and if we address
the elements vs boxes thing then there'll be even more need for one for
principal block boxes generated by elements that establish a block
formatting context, which is quite a mouthful!

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net