Re: [css3-background]Positioning of box-shadow blurs?

On Apr 29, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Alex Meiburg <timeroot.alex@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  I think "grow" actually represents the idea more clearly than
> "thicken", if the spread ends up changing the shape.

It does not change the shape any more than having a border changes the
shape of the padding box. It is an outward offset from the edges of
the border box visual shape, in the same way that the visual shape
(and clipping) of the padding box is changed by border-radius being
applied to the border box. In fact, for inner (aka 'inset') shadows,
it is almost exactly the same concept (aside from the clipping part).

> If  spread ends up being defined to leave the shape alone, then I
> think "scale" would be the best.

The word "shape" in the editors draft is in a sentence that was added
in order to indicate that sharp corners should remain sharp. It was a
result of a WG teleconference where we said we wanted that
(maintaining any sharp corners when spread was applied, prior to
applying any blur). It had nothing to do with wanting to preserve the
exact proportions of the shadow box.

Spread is a real thing, and a valuable way to control the expansion if
the shadow, much more so than scaling. Undoing everything that makes
it spread, and then renaming it "scale" is really changing it into a
whole other feature.

Simply scaling the shadow doesn't give me the same level of control
over the shadow edges that spread does, and would be of very limited
usefulness by comparison.