Re: [css3-transitions] transitioning to/from auto value

On Apr 28, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

>>> Wel, yeah.
>>
>> That's not what your original mail said, though.
>
> I don't understand what I said that was contradictory.

>>> That still sounds better than having a huge number of non-edge cases broken.
>>
>> From a UA developer's point of view, no.  It's not.
>
> From the standpoint of reading complaints from authors about what the "correct" way for it to work should be? I'd think you'd get more from the non-edge cases not working "correctly". In the end, "correct" is what the spec says is correct, but the complaints will come from people that disagree that the "correct" is "reasonable".

If the rule is that properties that have the 'auto' value are not transitioned then there are no edge cases, and authors have to remember exactly one rule. They have to compute metrics in order to transition a length value. It's seems clear that it's preferable that 'auto' never works than to have complex and buggy rules about when it may or may not work.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com