Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Touch enabled devices

On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:55 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> As well, a length-based variable ignores alternate input methods that
> could be usefully handled, like keyboard navigation, as Simon points
> out.  I could see offering a slightly different presentation to
> keyboard users, such as show/hiding useful anchors.

I am a little concerned we not get too 'physical' here.  Our current input model is of a logical keyboard and logical pointing device, but these can be physically instantiated in a number of ways (e.g. typing by voice recognition, pointing by keyboard keys).  We have concepts like 'focus' and 'enter characters'.

This is important because, among other things, accessibility relies on finding alternative physical ways to meet the logical interface.

I am a little concerned that we are having this discussion somewhat piecemeal at the W3C, as well (various groups are discussing 'touch' and I am not sure they have the same model).

David Singer