Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Touch enabled devices

On Apr 26, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Gregers Gram Rygg wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Mikko Rantalainen
> <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net> wrote:
>> pointer-precision: <len> | step;
>>
>> The user is expected to be able to hit targets of size <len> without
>> huge effort. The <len> should be expressed in "px", "em" or "ch" unit.
>
> That depends on how flexible this needs to be. Using a value instead
> of an input method will make this feature more complicated for browser
> developers and web developers. But I wouldn't mind, as long as there
> are some predefined keywords for different input devices. Example:
> "pointer-precision: touch", where touch could be specified to 8mm.
>
> Shouldn't <len> rather be specified in a physical unit (in, cm, mm, pt
> or pc)? A value in px might vary depending on the resolution for the
> device, and em/ch depend on the font in use.
>
> Example:
> @media screen and (pointer-precision: 10mm) {
>    a { padding: 3mm; }
>    ul.autocomplete li { padding: 3mm; }
>    div.touchController { display: block; }
>    div.nonTouchController { display: none; }
> }

This seems like way too much resolution. Imagine a hardware vendor tweaking the display
resolution of a device in a revision, and this causing web content to fall over a threshold
here.

I think it's quite sufficient to simply identify the primary input method. I can imagine
the following input methods:

pointer: mouse input (maybe include stylus?)
touch: finger-based interaction
keypad: up/down/left/right/enter navigation only

or something like that.

Simon