Re: [CSS3] horizontal/vertical-align ?

On Friday 2010-04-23 23:11 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> Question that bothers me quite some time:
> why you think that Flexbox module with its eight or so properties is
> better or easier to implement than single 'flow' property
> and flex unit? If you add there fact that 'flow' covers
> essential part of Template proposal with its own properties and
> at least two additional length units then you will get
>
>  1prop/1unit  against ~8props/2units
>
> Why there is such an opinion here that 8props/2units will
> require significantly less effort to implement or for
> some other reasons better, understandable, etc.?
> Have no idea to be short.

The existing box model is very complicated.  Many things are
extremely hard to implement (hard enough that no browsers get them
right):  margin collapsing, line layout around floats, etc.  Adding
more features into an already extremely complicated model makes
everything in the complicated mess harder to implement, since
there's yet one more thing to worry about when implementing all the
other pieces.

Flexbox is largely separate from the existing box model.  So instead
of being mixed in with a complicated model, it has clear boundaries
at the edges of that model, and is thus simpler.

-David